In the land of rural Vermont is located the world’s best rye Whiskey farmhouse distillery: Whistlepig Distillery. It is known for crafting world’s finest and most interesting whiskeys which are also distilled from grain to glass.
Yes, they harvest their own crops each year,seed experimental grains and have perfected a char profile for their local,sustainably harvested Vermont Estate Oak barrels. They even use water from their own well. Self owned crops, oak barrels and water : they call it their triple terroir which can be beat by none. Embracing more than 500 acres of land , their farm is the perfect place to experiment and provide them with ample access to the highest quality grain ingredients.
The renowned distillery began in 2007. They discovered an incredible stock of 10 year old blending whiskey in Canada. This kicked off whistlepig’s grand adventure. According to their official site, whistlepig always asks three golden questions at every step of the whiskey making process :
- “How was this done in the past?”
- “Have we learned anything since then that can make this better?”
- “Is there another way to do this that’s worth exploring?”
The answers to these golden questions end up being answered in the form of a beautiful bottle of addictive whiskey in your hands. Whistlepig knows that the path of their progress is not straight. But they are bold enough to take the zig – zag way.
“I’m OK making mistakes. In my industry you drink your mistakes.”By their legendary Master distillery Dave Pickerell
The result of their great efforts were mixed . Some finishes failed or added nothing. But many introduced new levels of complexity and depth to the rye. Their 12 Year Old World Cask Finish Rye was the first line of finished Rye Whiskeys released, originally as 3 separate finished Ryes: Sauternes, Madeira, Port. Following Aristotle’s advice that the whole is greater than the sum of it’s parts, their dedication went to blending. They manufactured their first blended whiskey under the leadership of Chief Blender Pete Lynch and Master Distiller Dave Pickerell. Bartenders all across the United states also contributed to the input.
WhistlePig 12 Year Old World Cask Finish Rye
Their first beautiful blend, of the following ingredients:
- 7% Port Finish
- 30% Sauternes Finish
- 63% Madeira Finish
HomeStock Rye Crop no. 004
Their second blend is no less beautiful, with the following ingredients:
- 45% Rye aged 4 years
- 30% Wheat aged 5 years
- 25% Barley aged 5 years
Small Batch Rye
It is aged for 10 years and bottled at 100 proof. It has got 96 points by wine enthusiasts. It has the following essence :
- Nose : Allspice, orange peel, anise, oak, char and caramel.
- Palate : Sweet; hints of caramel and vanilla, followed by ryespice and mint.
- Finish : Long finish; warm butterscotch and caramel.
Old world cask finish
It is aged for 12 years and finished in old world wine cask. It has a ROBP report of Best of the Best. It has the following essence:
- Nose : Caramel, vanilla, and winter fruit.
- Palate : Rye spice, apricots, plums, raisins, dates, and honey.
- Finish : Dark chocolate, winter fruit, caramel, and vanilla.
Farm stock Rye
It is a limited edition bottled at 86 proof. It is made using their grains, their wood and their water. It has the following essence:
- Nose: Sweet and aromatic, with Vanilla, Maraschino, Roasted Chestnuts and hints of Cigar Box.
- Palate : Oak, Toffee and Baking Spices followed by soft notes of Creme Brulee and Rose Petals.
- Finish : Warm and lasting with a pleasant Rye Spice.
Farm stock Beyond Bonded Rye
It is bottled in bond. It is rare because it’s journey is 100% from whistlepig’s farm to whistlepig’s bottle. It has the following characteristics:
- Grain : 100% Remington Rye.
- Age : Each single barrel is aged at least 4 years, 1 month and 30 days, and up to 4 years, 8 months and 14 days in Vermont Estate Oak barrels.
- Bottled : By hand in May 2021 at 100.1 proof.
Farm stock Beyond Bonded Bourbon
It has the following characteristics:
- Grain : 51% Dent Corn and 49% Remington and Rifle Rye.
- Age : Each single barrel is aged at least 4 years, 4 months and 14 days in Vermont Estate Oak barrels.
- Bottled : By hand in May 2021 at 100.1 proof.
Whistlepig piggyback rye
It is aged for 6 years. It is made from 100% rye. It is bottled at 96.56 proof. Its essence are :
- Nose : Fresh cinnamon, black peppercorn, a hint of tangerine and grapefruit zest.
- Palate : Powerfully spicy, with cocoa, cardamom and cured leather flavors.
- Finish : Wonderfully lengthy, with baking spices, vanilla and hints of citrus.
Double Malt Rye: 2nd edition
It is made from 79% rye, 15% malted rye and 6 % malted barley. It has the following essence:
- Nose : Sweet and aromatic, with toasted oak, berries, and nutmeg.
- Palate : Elegant and spicy, mildly fruity, and pleasantly floral. Vanilla and oak notes appear with time.
- Finish : Wonderfully long, clean, and spicy finish.
The Boss Hog VII : Magellan’s Atlantic
It has the following essence:
- Nose : Intensely aromatic, with cinnamon sugar, allspice, and maple. With time, toasted wood notes arise alongside creamy vanilla, roasted almonds, and a touch of ground espresso.
- Palate : Spicy cloves and sweet brandied cherries abound, with baking spices rampant. A closer look reveals subtle hints of charred oak, sage, and dark chocolate.
- Finish : Everlasting; gobs of cinnamon, oak spice, and a gentle warmth demand another sip.
With it’s triple terroir, we expect whistle pig to remain in it’s position of the best rye whiskey distillery for a very long time and keep fluttering the hearts of whiskey lovers with it’s charming whiskeys.
Edited By Trisha Mahajan