SelvaRey is a rum named after a legendary rum maker Don "Pancho " Francisco Fernandez. The name SelvaRey loosely translates to "King of the Jungle".
What Bruno Mars Bring To the Brand?
According to a SelvaRey rep, Bruno Mars is very hands-on with the tastings, packaging, advertising, and social media. The singer starred in the recently launched campaign of SelvaRey Coconut – the latest in his collection of ultra-premium rums.
Where Is It From?
SelvaRey, the single-estate rum is distilled in Panama. It was founded by Seth and Mark Gold in 2014 in California, with Robert Herzig as a co-owner. Bruno Mars the singer also became a co-owner after the rum was launched. Mars now represents the brand’s “creative vision.”
How It Is Made?
There are no adjuncts or chemical additives used in making this rum. It is made in Pesé in the Herrera Province of Panama. The region is home to Panama’s premier sugarcane. The sugarcane is hand-harvested, allowing for more quality control and less detritus in the processing.
The juice from the sugarcane is extracted and fermented with proprietary yeast, which is then distilled in one of the available antique copper column stills. After distillation, the rum is aged for five years before being filtered off and bottled.
How It Tastes?
The SelvaRey is a series that highlights SelvaRey White Rum, SelvaRey Chocolate Rum, SelvaRey Coconut Rum, and Owner’s Reserve. Every one of the rum in this collection has a unique taste. The finish is generally vanilla ash-like.
SelvaRey White Rum
This rum has a straw-colored expression which is blended in three and five-year-old rums.
- Re-charred ex-bourbon barrels are used in aging it.
- The flavor is then mellowed and the color stripped out.
- The palette has a lot of vanilla on it, with notes of key lime pie, citrus, and creme brûlée as you sip it.
SelvaRey Chocolate Rum
This is five-year-old rum that is instilled with natural chocolate.
- On the nose is heavy cocoa notes, with chocolate notes and baking spices creep on the palette-the taste is quite similar to a Tootsie Roll.
SelvaRey Coconut Rum
This rum is two-year-aged and infused with a “coconut essence.”
- Almost like coconut cake, it is very light on the nose.
- The lightness continues to the palette, along with notes of key lime and pineapple.
- It is ideal for classic and clean cocktails.
This is unlike the others in the series. It combines 15 and 25-year-old blends.
- The finishing is done in PX and ex-Cognac barrels.
- With notes of orange, brown sugar, and a lot of dried fruit, it comes with hints of nuttiness.
This rum is packaged in a Tapered Cylindrical clear glass. Its decanter-like bottom gives it some heft and balance. To give you a strong grip, the side of the bottle that goes up to the thick lip is slightly and gently sloped. The inset medallion at the front of the bottle has a ribbon gold outline of a toucan. In all, the bottle is distinct and easy to spot.
Where to Buy It
Edited By Trisha Mahajan